Friday, July 6, 2007

(the title bar is not working for me at this time)

Using Less Plastic









I am always looking for ways to use less plastic. One way I accomplish this is by using glass bowls with plastic lids, instead of using plastic wrap. I even use some of the glass refrigerator containers with the glass lids that my grandmother used! I also try to buy foods in glass jars that can be reused. Salsa, peanut butter, pickles, etc. can be found in glass jars and can be reused to store smallish amounts of leftovers, or they can hold spices, nuts and grains, and so on.


I make my own mayonnaise...it tastes better and it is one less plastic thing to buy. I've also started making my own salad dressings so that is one less plastic thing to throw away. I always buy olive oil, grapeseed oil, and vinegars in bottles. I reuse the bottle for salad dressings, and some I use as flower vases!


Whenever you're shopping and find yourself reaching for a plastic bottle or jar, look again to see if there is a similar product sold in glass. If not, is it something that you can make yourself? Do you really need it?


Using paper and canvas bags instead of plastic is also a good idea.

No comments: