Sunday, July 1, 2007

Composting

More than just kitchen produce scraps can be composted! I've been composting for over 20 years. I compost coffee grounds and the coffee filters. I compost tea bags, old paper bags, dog food bags, sugar and flour bags, and anything cardboard. I use very few paper towels, but those get composted as well. I also compost the paper towel and toilet paper tubes! Sometimes I cut or tear them apart, but most of the time I just toss 'em in the compost. They'll compost faster if soaked in water first, but I rarely bother with that. They compost just fine. I turn the compost at least once a week...great exercise!

Below are some photos of my compost. I keep a five gallon heavy duty bucket on the back porch for compost. I always have a lid on it to keep flies and critters out. I have a 3 bin system that my hubby built and I empty the bucket into the bin before the bucket gets too heavy for me to carry.

Hope these photos give others some additional ideas for things to compost!

Click on photos to enlarge





No comments: