Sunday, July 1, 2007

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I originally started making my own homemade laundry detergent because I hate throwing out those huge plastic jugs that will probably still be around hundreds of years from now! It cleans just as well, if not better than, the store bought stuff, in my experience. I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets, but your preferences and water may vary. I also do not use a second rinse and have noticed no difference in the clothes. Here's the recipe that I use and some photos of the process:

Homemade Laundry Detergent


1/3 bar Fels Naptha OR Octagon Soap

1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax powder
1/3 cup Clorox Oxy Clean

You will also need a bucket. I use a 5 gallon container sold at Home Depot for mixing paint, etc. You'll also need a large wooden spoon or other implement to stir the soap. Make sure it is used for soap making only, not for food!! And an old grater like you'd use for cheese.


Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.

Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.

Add the washing soda, borax, and the Oxy Clean and stir until it is dissolved.

Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.

Now add your soap mixture and stir.

Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.

Let the soap sit for about 24 hours (cover with an old towel) and it will gel. Makes about 2 gallons. After 24 hours, pour into jugs. You use 1/2 cup per load.

I haven't worked out how much it costs per load, but here is what I paid for the supplies in my area:

Octagon Soap .79 cents bar (only 1/3 of bar is used per batch)
- OR -
Fels Naptha .99 cents bar (only 1/3 of bar is used per batch)
A&H Washing Soda $1.95 (55 oz.)
20 Mule Team Borax $3.49 (76 oz)
Clorox Oxy Clean $3.99 (32 oz) (optional; I added this for extra whitening)
Water, about 2 gallons - free

I reuse old ALL jugs for the homemade laundry detergent. The spouts come out easily and I use a canning funnel to pour the detergent into the jugs.













No comments: